“Without the ILLEGAL Witch Hunt, my poll numbers, especially because of our historically “great” economy, would be at 65%. Too bad! The greatest Hoax in American History.” – Trump tweet 5-22-19
I spent the weekend with my kids, my nieces and nephew and their significant others. As a point reference, the age range of these 11 young adults is 19 to 29. Of these, 7 of them have an advanced degree, another one is working on his MBA and 1 of the 7 is working on her PhD (one of mine). Yes, they are smart.
The event we were attending was a wedding, the marriage of the oldest grandchild in my family. I have known six of them (not their significant others) their entire lives. A couple of them, including my own, I meet within minutes of being punched out into the world screaming. Do you get the picture, I know these kids pretty well.
Since this was a weekend of celebration I tried to keep the conversation light, for the most part, but I was curious how these kids saw the world today and specifically what did they think about the direction America was headed under the “leadership” of our Loser-in-Chief. Without question the consensus among all of them was that America is failing.
They had two major concerns, the destruction of our environment and intolerance. Their view of America today is that of a greedy, spoiled brat that doesn’t care about anything or anyone other than themselves. Pretty much pegs The Donald doesn’t it?
But here is the thing that bothers me, these kids, my kids aren’t very optimistic about the future of America. They view Trump as a sickness polluting the minds of not just the old white Deplorables and Evangelicals but a new crop of disenfranchised white youth who believe America has coddled black, brown, gay, liberal and non-Christian citizens for too long. These misguided youth believe that they have some kind of “birth right” to the American dream that has been denied them because of their lot in life whatever that lot may be. Trump stokes their bitterness by talking tough, building walls, putting brown children in cages, revoking rights and pardoning criminals all in the name of Jesus and Apple Pie.
I spend a lot time talking young adults off the cliff about the current state of America. I tell them the same thing over and over, Trump does not have the support of the majority of Americans. What he says, and what he promotes only appeals to a minority of our citizens. His delusional statement above that his poll numbers would be at 65% are just the ravings of a lunatic out of touch with reality. On his best day 30-35% of Americans would go to war for him, 5-10% reluctantly stand by him as long as their 401(k) keeps going up and gas prices keep going down. What makes it hard for the rest of us, the other 65% is that we can see through his bullshit, we know he is an immoral, self-absorbed, ignorant piece of shit and we don’t understand why the other 35% can’t. Why can’t they?
The simple answer is this, people are stupid and you can’t fix stupid. Trump appeals to the sanctimonious, the uneducated, the bigoted, and the narrow-minded. People who spend their entire lives in one lane. Their view of the world never changes, and they don’t want it to change. They love “the same” about their existence, same white people, same white church, same cheap beer, same King James Version and the same white neighborhood they have lived in their entire white life. Trump reassures them that he supports their sameness. Why wouldn’t he? If all you want out of life is cheap t-shirts from Walmart and the $8.00 buffet at Golden Corral a baboon in a $5,000 suit could promise and deliver that. Oh, wait.
“In politics stupidity is not a handicap.” – Napoleon Bonaparte