“I’ve known Bob Rumson for years, and I’ve been operating under the assumption that the reason Bob devotes so much time and energy to shouting at the rain was that he simply didn’t get it. Well, I was wrong. Bob’s problem isn’t that he doesn’t get it. Bob’s problem is that he can’t sell it! We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, I promise you, Bob Rumson is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things and two things only: making you afraid of it and telling you who’s to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections.” – President Andrew Shepherd from the movie The American President
1995 (yes 25 years ago) Rob Reiner directed one of my favorites movies, The American President starring Michael Douglas, Annette Bening and other well known movie stars. I am a sucker for a love story with a happy ending and this movie has all of that set against a backdrop of political good guys and bad guys. How could I not love a movie like that?
The parallels between Trump and Bob Rumson, the Richard Dreyfuss character running for president, are pretty chilling 25 years later. It’s almost as if Trump patterned his bombastic approach to “ruling” on Bob Rumson. Certainly the ugliness, divisiveness, and hate of Bob Rumson are evident in “our” American President today.
Making you afraid of it and telling you who’s to blame for it.
Maybe you have heard, there is a scary virus circling the globe, COVID-19. We now have the first confirmed death of an American, on U.S. soil of the Coronavirus from an unknown, or unidentified source. An American citizen Trump identified as a “wonderful woman” at his “comforting”, rambling press conference but who was in fact a man.
Trump began the week calling the Coronavirus another hoax from the Democrats. That played well at his redneck rally in N. Charleston, SC but not with the scientific or medical community. So to show how serious he had become since Monday calling it a hoax Trump named Mike Pence as the Coronavirus Czar, a respected and well-known fool. Now, don’t you feel better?
And just in case you were concerned Trump wasn’t taking this threat seriously this is what he has been tweeting about over the last 10 hours:
- Mini Mike Bloomberg’s consultants and so-called “advisors”(how did that advice work out? Don’t ask!), are on the “gravy train” and all making a fortune for themselves pushing Mini hard, when they knew he never had what it takes. Don’t pay them anymore Mike, they led you down a very dark and lonely path! Your reputation will never be the same!
- I would find it hard to believe that failed presidential candidates Tom Steyer, or Mini Mike Bloombeg, would contribute to the Democrat Party, even against me, after the way they have been treated – laughed at & mocked. The real politicians ate them up and spit them out!
- Tom Steyer who, other than Mini Mike Bloomberg, spent more dollars for NOTHING than any candidate in history, quit the race today proclaiming how thrilled he was to be a part of the the Democrat Clown Show. Go away Tom and save whatever little money you have left!
- Congratulations to Sleepy Joe Biden!
- Democrats are working hard to destroy the name and reputation of Crazy Bernie Sanders, and take the nomination away from him!
- Sleepy Joe Biden’s victory in the South Carolina Democrat Primary should be the end of Mini Mike Bloomberg’s Joke of a campaign. After the worst debate performance in the history of presidential debates, Mini Mike now has Biden split up his very few voters, taking many away!
And then finally this Public Service Announcement Tweet this morning from Trump: “Coronavirus: In addition to screening travelers “prior to boarding” from certain designated high risk countries, or areas within those countries, they will also be screened when they arrive in America.” with this follow-up: “The food is GREAT at Sammy’s Mexican Grill in Phoenix, Arizona. Congratulations to Betty & Jorge Rivas on doing such a wonderful job. I will try hard to stop by the next time I am in Phoenix. Support Sammy’s!”
God help us!
“We’ve got serious problems, and we need serious people, and if you want to talk about character, Bob, you’d better come at me with more than a burning flag and a membership card. If you want to talk about character and American values, fine. Just tell me where and when, and I’ll show up. This is a time for serious people, Bob, and your fifteen minutes are up. My name is Andrew Shepherd, and I *am* the President.” – President Andrew Shepherd from the movie The American President