“Boo Boo, you’ve tried to stop my brilliant ideas with common sense a thousand times. Has it ever worked?” – Yogi Bear
Let’s see if I can put this all together.
- Mike Flynn, Trumps National Security Adviser is shown the door for lying about his ties with Russia. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on which side you are on, this one is turning into a much bigger story for President Trump and Mr. Flynn.
- It comes to light that Attorney General Jeff Sessions lied, under oath, about having contact with the Russian Ambassador. The “fake news” Russian connection just won’t go away.
- President Trump tweets; “Just found out that Obama had my “wires tapped” in Trump Tower just before the victory” and the rest of the world forgets about Russia, Mike Flynn and Jeff Sessions.
- President Trump spends the weekend playing golf, offering no facts on how he came up with this tantalizing bit of news which leaves the media in a feeding frenzy.
- Trump spokespeople and surrogates appear to be in the dark like the rest of us but defend the Presidents words because after all he is the President.
- We learn that because the President used quotation marks in his tweet when talking about “wires tapped” it doesn’t necessarily mean this or that. It was a “general” accusal that was open to many interpretations. Still, no release of any data to support his claim.
- The House Intelligence Committee meets with the FBI and NSA directors who state that they can not nor do they have any information that support Presidents Trumps claim that “Obama had my “wires tapped” in Trump Tower”. The committee meeting spins into a disjointed, bipartisan witch hunt with one side searching for Russians and the other looking for leaks.
- And then yesterday, Representative Devin Nunes of California, the Republican chairman of the House Intelligence Committee held a press conference stating that he had information that the President and his associates may have been “incidentally” swept up in foreign surveillance by American spy agencies. President Trump is claiming this as a “victory”, but is it really?
This episode of grandstanding by Rep. Nunes yesterday confirms, if there was ever any doubt, where his loyalties lie. If you are wondering, not with the American people but with Donald J. Trump. I am assuming that he was well within his rights to share his “new” information with Speaker Ryan and the President. It may have even been his responsibility and duty but I am pretty confident he also should have shared his findings with the minority leader and the impromptu press conference was simply for the benefit of President Trump.
How he tumbled on this “new” information no one seems to know and honestly we may never know. It does seem extremly convenient though and rather fishy.
In my opinion, his actions yesterday removed any morsel of impartially he may or may not have had as the chair of the House Intelligence Committee. If you agree below are the Republican members of the committee. If one of them represents you feel free to voice your opinion concerning the actions of Rep. Nunes and stress the need for an independent investigation concerning our President and his associates ties with the Russians.